Tips for Preparing for your Disability Application
Posted on behalf of Phillips Disability, P.C. on Feb 28, 2017 in SSD
When someone can no longer work due to a disabling medical condition, it can be a very stressful time in their life. An inability to earn an income will make it difficult to pay for needed medical care and other expenses.
Because of this, many individuals file for Social Security Disability benefits for the financial support they need. This process, however, can be intimidating and complicated.
When preparing to complete your application or an initial disability interview, it is important that you are prepared to answer a number of questions and are able to provide a clear picture of your work and medical history. Our dedicated Phoenix disability attorneys can help provide guidance in how to prepare for your interview.
Disability Benefits Preparation
The Social Security Administration (SSA) will need to know detailed information about your disability and its effects on your day-to-day life. You can prepare for questions about your condition by gathering the following information in advance.
- Important dates – The SSA will ask for dates such as when your disability began, dates you worked, and dates you were seen by doctors and/or hospitalized.
- Doctors and hospitals – The SSA will need the names, physical addresses and phone numbers of your doctors and medical facilities where you received treatment in the last year.
- Medication – You will have to provide the names and dosage of any medications you are taking, as well as any medical treatments you have undergone.
- Past employment – You should also be able to provide the contact information, including phone numbers and addresses, for all past employers and supervisors.
If you are applying for Supplemental Security Income – a benefit for low-income individuals – the SSA will also need the information about your income. You should be prepared to provide the following information.
- Financial information – You will need to identify all sources of income and the amount of resources you have available, which will include the balances of your bank accounts, if you have a car and any other investments.
- Household – The SSA will inquire about your current living arrangement, including who lives with you and your household expenses.
By contacting an experienced disability advocate before you begin apply for benefits, we can help you gather this information and all important documents to help ensure a smooth application or interview.
Whether you are just beginning the application process or if your application has been denied, Phillips Disability can help. Contact us today for a free claim review.